Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Essential Skills...

I never really paid much attention to the fact that my mom, grandma, and grossmama taught me to stitch, sew, use a surger (sp?), and cross-stitch... It seemed like a basic thing that "I guess" everyone learns. I mean, everyone learns to sew on a button right? Every girl learns to hem pants right? How about sew on a patch?... I never really paid much attention to these bits of "essential skills", and I have always sort of taken for granted the fact that I had these skills... Until one fateful day at work...

I tend to try to wear much nicer dress clothes for board meeting days at work. Well, since I had been through all of my nicer dress clothes, I decided to buy a new outfit for the next board of trustees meeting... So, a friend and I toodle around and we find the cutest black pencil skirt and white button up top.. Awesome! Both for a total of $27.. Love it!

The morning of the board meeting, I struggled with the zipper and my roomie helped me "get a running start" and zip it up completely, no big deal.

I got to work a few minutes late.. because I had to choose between being on time or having my coffee, and well, lets be honest, I will always choose the coffee (I may be slightly incredibly addicted)! I had been at work for maybe 20 minutes when the coffee I downed on the way (I have an hour or so commute to and from work) takes over and I need a restroom break.......

Once I am getting ready to leave the bathroom I take a quick look at my outfit, because lets be honest, you want to make sure you don't have your skirt tucked into your underwear or toilet paper on your shoe.. That is when I discovered my zipper had slipped. Weird, so I went to grab it and fix it, only to make it completely zip open, with the actual zipper stuck at the top.... *doh!* So, I spend a few minutes trying to unzip/re-zip/unzip/re-zip...... to no avail. "Maybe I have something in my office that'll help!" So, I hold my zipper closed and make a dash for my office and close the door...

My office provides no safety pins, no needles, and no thread.. nothing. Dang it. So, I begin to enlist for helpful ideas from other girls via facebook and text messages... I received a lot of helpful advice "staples" "go home" "buy a new one" all great, but none practical enough for my situation seeing as where I work is almost an hour away from any real civ
ilization.. or the nearest clothes store.. But, staples seem to be the only option at this point... *sigh*

"Wait! I work at a residential facility!..." There has to be SOMEONE who has a needle and thread!!....
I get ahold of a coworker who lives across the plaza, and she is able to bring over a needle and thread, and I spend the next half an hour... SEWING myself into my pencil skirt with 100 small stitches lol ... =/ No one that day had a clue what ordeal I had just been through...

Never again will I take for granted my seemingly unimportant skill of being able to sew and stitch... Thank you Mom, Grandma, and Grossmama! Gotta love the taken for granted essential skills forced upon you as a child! :)

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment